Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Rock Fest - 40th Green walk!
40th green walk has been a success, there is a feel of profound satisfaction, fulfillment of expectations.
Invitations has been sent out, every one was waiting to meet everyone, some are very new to the green walk family, their curiosities were unlimited
As soon as I entered the beautiful village, I was focused on sending the kids to register their name, while in the process, one of the new participant of green walk asked me, “ what it is all about, what you guys do in this group?
I replied saying, “ It’s a process of learning about history mainly, preserving the valuables, understanding the archeology , treating them as treasure and making friends” He smiled and nodded his head. I am sure he would understand what I had meant in the forth coming green walks.
Many came in the morning drenching in the rain, their level of commitment to green walk was extra ordinary, as soon as people reached, they were served with hot breakfast. It was like an important family gathering, new participants eagerly talking and making friends, people who are friends already, happy meeting them again. In fact, people like me, who will always be waiting when it would happen again, so I could meet my friends and make new friends.
After serving food, the rain was still pouring out, many stood in the rain while having their breakfast, some clever people came with the umbrella, it was used by few of us from getting drenched. Holding the umbrella’s had been a problem while eating, but we managed to find few slaves to do that (kidding) J J
Some finished their breakfast and went to the temple in the village. It was a beautiful sight, I m so confident, photographs cannot give you the real feel of peace what you get while looking at the reality. Most of the kids stood near the lotus pond, some naughty one’s had used the lotus leaves as umbrellas which has been a view to our sour eyes.
Registration process was going on with full speed, everyone got a green walk participant batch . Few hardworking sisters distributing the batches with mangalyan’s speed. I tried to participate in their action, but could only disturb them being a late comer, so I took the responsibility to make all our kutti green walkers register their name.
Thankfully, the rain had slowly stopped, using the opportunity, we all went to the samanar caves climbing over few steps in the path, it was a beautiful view, for a moment with the rain and all, I felt I was in some European country side where dukes and duchesses had lived. Simply gorgeous view, freshly cleansed in the rain.
All the green walk participants, walked their way to reach settipudavu, it was just a 5 minutes walk from the venue, everyone stood silent while shanthalingam sir explained the history of the place.
· The statues in the caves are 2300 years old , but the archealogy department managed to trace them out only few years back and he also mentioned –in the book, kaval kottam, the journey starts from settipudavu.
· He also claimed that preserving these places are very important.
· He said, the statues in the caves resembles old days settiyars and their life style.
Green walk volunteers helping the kids again coming down to the venue, in the mean time our official photographers have jumped at the opportunity to capture the moments , must say, green walk had created wonderful magicians, they present the image we see in a panoramic view at times beating the reality.
We all assembled at the venue, the arrangement were made for us to sit and listen peacefully despite the rain. Sooner the sun emerged from the clouds, made us all wonder had it really been raining in the morning, It was that sunny in the noon, thankfully also helped the fest to continue without any interruptions from the nature.
Muthukrishnan sir spoke of the history of green walk and how it started…
· We started green walk with just 25 people , now it has been a established group with 300 participants. Every green walk has been a new experience and learning for all the participants.
· The villagers have taught us the history of the mountains , they are the owners of the mountains and also the history.
· Collector and Writer S Ramakrishnan and few other writers were not able to participate due to the judgment but this 40th green walk had given us more enthusiasm and energy to conduct activities like this in future
· Green walk insists all participants to bring their family members as well, we believe women and children are the ones who take the history forward.1500 participants were expected only 450 turned up, he thanked all who had participated in the event.
Environmentalist theoder baskaran sir spoke with more history insights.
· He claimed that caste and religion based worships in india has been the reason Buddhism and Jainism has been eradicated from our country, though Buddhism and Jainism born in india.
· He stated that history of tamil nadu and india presents us the living style of the upper class people, but Buddhism and Jainism teaches us how the normal people had lived those days.
· No details about normal people had been registered in indian history but we can trace them and find it the samanar caves, he also said british are the first who had researched about the jain sculptures and our government doesn’t encourage archeological research based on other religions except Hinduism and reduced funds for the research and he expects the situation to change in the future.
Children were the strength of this rock fest, each and every kid enjoyed thoroughly, even the kids from the village participated, after winning certificates and prizes the smile on their faces was just spectacular . More than 100 kids participated in the games and competitions.
Drawing competitions were conducted, we could see creativity redefined In those miniature chart canvases. Green walk once again successfully accomplished by teaching history to the children, their learning in the school has been limited to certain topics alone, but herein green walk from the very young age they are being trained to understand & respect the history and also preserving them. On its way Green walk creating young historians who would take the creativity they inculcated in the green walk to their future I surmise.
Prize distribution was sheer fun, one of the green walk participant made all children stand and dance for her tunes, the shy ones sat with a grin on their face, one bold came and sang that was taught to her in the morning. Giggling and laughter all over!
All the adults/ parents sat with a smile and enjoying the fun younger ones were having, I m sure some were longing for their childhood days.
After the prize distribution, muthukrishnan sir concluded his speech by thanking everyone who had participated in the event despite the hurdles they have over come to participate in the event.
Rock fest had been a complete success with lots of food for brain, stomach and also heart. Thank you green walk.